160-162 W Michigan Ave is a free standing building built in 1928. The exterior is limestone and granite with a large sculpted sarab at the top. It officially opened in1929 as a jewelry store and has never been used for any other purpose. The ornate Neo-Egyptian architecture was inspired by King Tut's tomb and features the sarab throughout. The plaster ceiling was cast and painted in Europe, brought to US in sections and assembled in the store. The back office space contains 2 hugh built in safes along with a second level mezzanine overlooking the main store with a perfect view of the vaulted ornate ceiling. The connected building at 162 W Michigan Ave. was used as a jewelry repair department but could be easily converted to retail or office space with a separate entrance. In 1984, the third floor was renovated into a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment with a separate entrance. The former owners used it as their residence and was leasing it for $950 per month.
Provided through IDX through Realcomp II Ltd. Courtesy of Elegant Homes Realty. Copyright 2019 Realcomp II Ltd. Shareholders. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, noncommercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. The accuracy of all information, regardless of source, is not guaranteed or warranted. All information should be independently verified.